Ferdinand KamyaTax Director
Ferdinand joined Libra as Tax Director in 2020. He brings on board a wealth of tax experience having cut his teeth as a tax consultant for Deloitte and Touché (5 years) and Grant Thornton (5 years). Ferdinand has the unique ability to reach the core issues that clients may have which may not necessarily be the reason they came for tax advice in the beginning.
Ferdinand’s primary role at Libra is to provide oversight and quality review control on aspects of tax matters that the firm is dealing with as well weighing in on complex tax matters that need a more senior review.
He has advised clients across multiple industry sectors in Uganda including but not limited to ability Banking and Finance, Oil and Gas, Manufacturing, Technology Media and Telecoms (TMT) and Public Infrastructure contracts. He is adept with tax advice and provides tax-efficient solutions for his clients as well as identifying and advising on tax risks that a client may be exposed to in varying scenarios. Ferdinand always states that there are two types of tax consultants, one that knows the law and one that knows the URA; Ferdinand, is one of the few that knows both very well.
Brief transactional experience
- Successfully defended a large plastics and polymers manufacturer in Uganda on a URA audit totaling UGX 4bn regarding the correct application of Duty Remission in Uganda.
- Successfully defended a multinational construction firm in Uganda on a URA audit totaling UGX 2.4bn stemming from un-reconciled VAT irregularities.
- Successfully advised and defended a client in the lottery and gaming industry on the unlawful method of collection of withholding tax on winning.
- Advised numerous multinational contractors on the operationalization of tax exemptions denoted in their contract with The Republic of Uganda.
- Advised a multinational road contractor on the applicability of “The Cotonou Agreement”, (a multilateral international agreement for Pacific and African countries contracting with the European Union) and further assisted with the operationalization of the same.
- Lobbied for and succeeded in getting the URA to roll out the procedures and guidelines for the voluntary disclosure incentive and successfully obtained the same for his clients that required them.
- Advised numerous clients on income tax exemptions for taxpayers either investing for the first time or current investors expanding their portfolio and was instrumental in the changes on legislation that widened the criteria for investors to be considered eligible for the exemption.
- Advising oil field service clients on the relevant tax compliances applicable in Uganda and advising on tax-efficient methods where applicable.
- MAT ABACUS- ACCA Student- Ongoing
- The University of The West of England – LLB Law, graduated with Honors
- Project Management PMM 4